(Reuters) – A gas blast has killed as many as 25 people in a gold mine in to the east Guinea, a inhabitant and a policeman source said on Thursday.
The misfortune took location on Wednesday at an artisanal mine in the isolated Siguiri province, 800 km northeast of Conakry. Some of the West African country’s largest gold reserves are held in that zone.
14 bodies had been discovered but the 25 miners in the pit at the time of the blast couldn’t have survived, according to Noumouke Dioubate, a Siguiri resident who seen the release procedure.
A police source who asked not to be identified, verified that 14 bodies had been recovered at the site. The partitions of the mine are too slender and it’s unrealistic to endure this kind of accident.
Artisanal mining in Guinea is legal. But it is disreputably dangerous and four persons were killed in a similar occurrence in July.
Government spokesman Damantang Albert Camara said that the authorities have been fighting for years to find means to assure the security and safety of artisanal miners. He added that this accident displays that there is still a lot of work to do.
Guinea is furthermore one of the world’s top bauxite exporters and has large, untapped metal ore reserves that have lured large international miners.